It was a Rams vs Rams battle as VCU took on fellow A-10 competitor Fordham. There was a lot of energy both on and off the field for the men’s third conference game of the season. VCU turned on the pressure early and kept their momentum through a double overtime where both teams would remain scoreless. Despite being unable to find the back of the net, some great defense allows VCU to remain unbeaten in A-10 play (1-0-2) and gave goal keeper Garrett Cypress his fourth career shutout.
There were a few things to appreciate from the fan perspective. VCU got out there and was aggressive. They created some good opportunities and even if they weren’t scoring they certainly weren’t backing down either. Over the course of the night VCU attempted 21 shots and had 5 on goal, keeping the Fordham goal keeper Sean Brailey on notice. They also limited Fordham to just 1 shot on goal out of their 14 attempts. There were a few moments where the Ram’s came close and fans were on the edge of their seats…
- Early on Jose Manel shook off the defense and fired a shot that went just wide of the net in the 11th minute
- Manel made another attempt in 31st minute which was saved by GK Sean Brailey
- Ritchie Duffie hit a shot in the 64th minute that required a diving save from Brailey
- Captain Dennis Castillo’s header in the 86th minute was just tapped away by Brailey
- Brandon Eaton gathered a loose ball and fired a shot from just outside the box just as the end of the first OT expired that garnered another save by Brailey
The good news is the Rams come away with a clean slate and no losses on their A-10 conference schedule with another chance for an A-10 victory on Sunday October 19th when they play the La Salle Explorers.
Click below for fullscreen images