Saturday night at the Siegel Center was the site of the return of VCU Men’s Basketball in their annual Black & Gold game. What went down on the floor in a scrimmage that needed overtime to decided the winner? Let’s scan Kazie’s Notepad for notes and observations.
- De’Riante Jenkins already salivating for November to get here. One more month away…
- Jarren McAllister is going to win a bunch of Dunk Contest during his playing career. Killed the rim in the warm-up lines.
“Every time we get on the floor for you; you get on your feet for us!” shouted Coach Rhoades on the mic introducing the Floor Burn Tradition to Ram Nation. He read this from Coach Jared Hoss’ book called Floor Burns. Feeling that this may stick with a rambunctious crowd of Ram supporters.
- Good to be back inside the Siegel Center. Welcome back College Basketball.
- VCU with the smokescreen walkthrough on player introductions. As a fan of The U, I approve of this.
SHOWTIME! (And Tip-Off)
Team Black: De’Riante Jenkins, Bones Hyland, Malik Crowfield, Marcus Santos-Silva, Jarren McAllister, Arnold Henderson VI.
Team Gold: Mike’l Simms, Marcus Evans, KeShawn Curry, Hason Ward, Issac Vann, Tre Clark.
*My money is on Team Black. Looking forward to Santos-Silva 🆚 Ward in the paint.
- Mike’l Simms not afraid to drive the paint and looking for contact inside. Definitely been working with Marcus Evans over the offseason on that.
- Jenkins vs. Vann is the matchup I didn’t think would be this entertaining to start the game. But I’m happy it’s on the menu.
- Santos-Silva more vocal down in the paint to his teammates and demanding the ball. Yes, indeed.
- First dive on the floor by Evans on the loose ball: Crowd on their feet. Floor Burn Tradition already working successfully.
- Friendly Competitive Warfare right?
- Hason Ward could be a SCARY addition to VCU’s back-court. 6’9, 200 pounds and can JUMP JUMP! Along with Santos-Silva, Corey Douglas…good luck grabbing a rebound.
- 0-for-5 from three to start the three-point festivities….at least that’s not VCU’s primary offensive weapon…
- McAllister dives for the ball, Crowd EXPLODES! (2-for-2)
- MSS with the help to Bones telling him just to slow Jimmy down and he got his back on the press. Leadership.
- Henderson then Bones then Vann for the triple. Now the three-pointers begin to fall from the heavens. (21-7 Team Black, 2:30 1st Half)
- VCU with four Rams rocking headbands (Crowfield, Simms, Vann, Clark). Can we get the 5th for an All-Headband rotation? Asking for a friend.
HALFTIME: Team Black leads Team Gold 23-21
- The execution took a couple of minutes to warm-up but got competitive before the half
- Bones leading Team Black with 7 points including 3-of-4 from the field
- Team Gold led by Issac Vann putting up 5 points
- Crowfield silent scoring but leading all Rams with 3 assists
- Biggest Lead: 11 Point Lead for Team Black and held the lead for 10:05. Get it together Gold!
- 6 Rams putting in a full 12-minute shift: Jenkins, Bones, Crowfield, Santos-Silva, Evans, Vann.
- Ward is looking as advertised: Block City.
- Team Black is REALLY good at pressing full-court. Got Marcus Evans for the interception of the Hail Mary attempt gone wrong.
- Vann setting up the big man of Gold in Heson for the highlight reel dunk off the alley-oop.
- First lead for Team Gold at 41-40. 3:22 left.
- Evans off to the races. Big steal and breakaway for Team Gold. 43-43 notched.
- Coaches yelling constantly HANDS! HANDS UP! Gotta keep working on that stance defensively…
- Evans was fouled. And the referee actually called it! WHAAA?!?
- Evans REALLY wants to win this one tonight.
- The full-court press is going to be nasty at full sprint
- McAllister = Clutch at the FT Line tonight with the 4-for-4.
- Rhoades impressed with the new guys competing hard against the older guard. Got some work to do on both sides of the ball but a great night of work and progress for VCU
- Coach working on getting these guys fatigued to see how they perform under pressure.
- No serious injuries for Corey Douglas and Vince Williams. No concern necessary.
- Bones is battling every day in practice and Heson apparently gained 15 pounds since August. What’s his diet?
- Senior Leadership is awesome from his senior class. Makes the new guys work that much harder. VCU is in WIN NOW mode.